- LATEST UPDATE: The Trustees regret that, in the light of recent Government advice, it is prudent to cancel rehearsals for the rest of term and to postpone our May concert. We hope to be able to pick up where we left off at a later date.
- In addition, it has been decided that we will collect hired music scores as soon as possible. An email has been circulated to choir members with instructions and guidelines for this. If you have not received this email, please first check your spam folder, and then contact us through the Contact Us form. Many thanks!
- Rehearsal aids - see below for suggestions from Laurence - you can still practice at home!
- Help the choir to raise funds through Easyfundraising. Full details are given below
- Would you like to improve your sight reading and singing whilst we take a break from rehearsals? See below for suggested aids.
- Other opportunities to keep singing:
Gareth Malone is setting up a choir for everyone to join and sing from their homes.
The sofa singers can be found at https://www.thesofasingers.net
The Stay at Home Choir https://stayathomechoir.com
7 January - 7.15 pm rehearsals commence for Spring term
28 January - Monthly drinks/social after rehearsal at George's Meeting House, South Street - all welcome!
18 February - Half term, NO rehearsal
25 February - Monthly drinks/social after rehearsal at George's Meeting House, South Street - all welcome!
10 March - Rehearsal at St James' Church, 7.15 for 7.30 pm
17 March - NO REHEARSAL - cancelled for the rest of term
8 May - POSTPONED Concert at St James' Church Rutter Requiem, Poulenc Gloria and Elgar Te Deum
8 September - 7.15 pm rehearsals commence for Autumn term
11 December - Concert at St James' Church
Choraline (PAID): https://www.choraline.com/learn-to-sing-rutter-requiem-
Singing Practice: https://www.singingpractice.co.uk/music/wholeworks/rutrequi/base.html
For 10% discount from Choraline please contact the Secretary for the code.
Elgar: Te Deum
YouTube (NOTE LEARNING FILES available for each voice part. Watch out - they are a bit slow): https://www.stmaryssingers.com/elgar---te-deum-op-34-no-1.html
Improve your sight reading with
- The book Novello Guide to Sight Singing - shop around for the best price but c. £14.
- Free short course from OpenLearn https://www.open.edu/openlearn/history-the-arts/music/introduction-music-theory/content-section-0?active-tab=description-tab
- Download the fun, free Perfect Ear app to improve your timing and pitch.
The Trustees ask that choir members should aim to attend at least 75% of the rehearsals for any one concert if they wish to sing in the performance, or be otherwise sufficiently rehearsed.
It would be helpful if returning members who have missed a year or more could please contact the Secretary before returning to rehearsals so that we can welcome you and add you to our mailing list. Thank you.
Please help support Exeter Choral Society by shopping online.
Use easyfundraising to shop with over 3,600 retailers including Amazon, Argos, John Lewis, ASOS, Booking.com, eBay, Boden, and M&S.
Every time you shop, you’ll raise a free donation for Exeter Choral Society every time, it’s that easy!
Find out more: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/exeterchoralsociety/
Christine (tenor), Chair
Michelle (alto), Secretary
Yvonne (alto), Treasurer
Concert Managers (alto), Lynn & Pauline
Librarian (tenor), Jill
Part reps: Alison (soprano), Gill (alto), Kathryn (tenor) and Ted (bass).
Thank you to those of you who kindly help with tasks including running coffee evenings, selling cakes or raffle tickets, setting up our staging, librarian, box office and concert management to name but a few. Your help is greatly appreciated by all in the choir. More helpers are always welcome. Special thanks last Autumn term to Iain and team for setting up our staging, to Ted for organising seating and to David and Sue for hiring and washing up hundreds of glasses for concert refreshments!
Some past concerts and charity collections:
December 2019 - a sell-out concert!
Featuring Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man, with Andrew Millington on the organ and with much brass and percussion. By complete contrast, the second half featured the sublime and sunny Vivaldi Gloria.
Thank you to our audience and choir for your donations to Refugee Support Devon Ltd. An amazing £596 was collected. The money raised will go to an Emergency Fund which is used to support destitute asylum-seekers and refugees who are suffering financial hardship.
May 2018 - A celebration concert, in our 75th anniversary year
Music included Mozart Coronation Mass, Handel Coronation Anthems, Haydn Little Organ Mass
A glorious celebration with a full house! Our collections raised a very much appreciated £663 for Exeter, Mid & East Devon Samaritans. Thank you everyone!
November 2017 concert with our partners from Exmouth and Wellington - Vaughan Williams A Sea Symphony
At the end of an amazing evening in Exeter Cathedral, the retiring collections raised over £1300 for Exmouth RNLI - thank you to all our supporters for your generosity to this amazing charity 'saving lives at sea'.
May 2017 concert - Handel Messiah
Our collections raised a much appreciated £440.27 for SnackPack. We received many comments about how much performers and audience enjoyed the evening, our packed audience even giving us a standing ovation!