- THANK YOU to everyone who helped with our December concert, from setting up staging to serving refreshments and clearing up. It was good to perform to a full house and with such brilliant musicians and soloists. Well done to our MD, Laurence, for pulling together such a performance. Our charity, Refugee Support Devon Ltd, collected £596 - thank you for your support everyone! To this sum has been added half of the funds from Corinne's amazing fundraising.
- Wanted - a volunteer for alto rep please. See Christine if you can help us or to find out about the role.
- Rehearsal aids - see below for suggestions from Laurence, so you can be note perfect for our spring concert!
- Rehearsal homework - see the 3-week plan below.
- Help the choir to raise funds through Easyfundraising. Full details are given below
- Would you like to improve your sight reading and singing? See below for suggested aids.
7 January - 7.15 pm, Rehearsals commence for Spring Term
28 January - Monthly drinks/social after rehearsal at George's Meeting House, South Street - all welcome!
18 February - Half term, NO rehearsal
25 February - Monthly drinks/social after rehearsal at George's Meeting House, South Street - all welcome!
24 March - Coffee evening after rehearsal
14 April - Easter week, NO rehearsal
7 May - Thursday rehearsal at St James' Church (NO rehearsal on Tuesday 5 May)
8 May - Concert at St James' Church Rutter Requiem, Poulenc Gloria and Elgar Te Deum
3-week rehearsal plan
21st Jan: Rutter 3 and 4, Poulenc 4,5,6
28th Jan: Rutter 1 (opening until Kyrie), 3, 5, Poulenc 1,2,3
4th Feb: Finish covering Poulenc plus page 10 onwards (When thou tookest) in Elgar. If time revise Rutter 6 and 7.
Sectional rehearsals will be arranged for after half-term break.
Choraline (PAID): https://www.choraline.com/learn-to-sing-rutter-requiem-
Singing Practice: https://www.singingpractice.co.uk/music/wholeworks/rutrequi/base.html
For 10% discount from Choraline please contact the Secretary for the code.
Elgar: Te Deum
YouTube (NOTE LEARNING FILES available for each voice part. Watch out - they are a bit slow): https://www.stmaryssingers.com/elgar---te-deum-op-34-no-1.html
Improve your sight reading with
- The book Novello Guide to Sight Singing - shop around for the best price but c. £14.
- Free short course from OpenLearn https://www.open.edu/openlearn/history-the-arts/music/introduction-music-theory/content-section-0?active-tab=description-tab
- Download the fun, free Perfect Ear app to improve your timing and pitch.
The Trustees ask that choir members should aim to attend at least 75% of the rehearsals for any one concert if they wish to sing in the performance, or be otherwise sufficiently rehearsed.
It would be helpful if returning members who have missed a year or more could please contact the Secretary before returning to rehearsals so that we can welcome you and add you to our mailing list. Thank you.
Please help support Exeter Choral Society by shopping online.
Use easyfundraising to shop with over 3,600 retailers including Amazon, Argos, John Lewis, ASOS, Booking.com, eBay, Boden, and M&S.
Every time you shop, you’ll raise a free donation for Exeter Choral Society every time, it’s that easy!
Find out more: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/exeterchoralsociety/
Christine (tenor), Chair
Michelle (alto), Secretary
Yvonne (alto), Treasurer
Concert Managers (alto), Lynn & Pauline
Librarian (tenor), Jill
Thank you to those of you who kindly help with tasks including running coffee evenings, selling cakes or raffle tickets, setting up our staging, librarian, box office and concert management to name but a few. Your help is greatly appreciated by all in the choir. More helpers are always welcome. Special thanks last Autumn term to Iain and team for setting up our staging, to Ted for organising seating and to David and Sue for hiring and washing up hundreds of glasses for concert refreshments!
Some past concerts and charity collections:
December 2018 - a sell-out concert!
Featuring Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man, with Andrew Millington on the organ and with much brass and percussion. By complete contrast, the second half featured the sublime and sunny Vivaldi Gloria.
Thank you to our audience and choir for your donations to Refugee Support Devon Ltd. An amazing £596 was collected. The money raised will go to an Emergency Fund which is used to support destitute asylum-seekers and refugees who are suffering financial hardship.
May 2018 - A celebration concert, in our 75th anniversary year
Music included Mozart Coronation Mass, Handel Coronation Anthems, Haydn Little Organ Mass
A glorious celebration with a full house! Our collections raised a very much appreciated £663 for Exeter, Mid & East Devon Samaritans. Thank you everyone!
November 2017 concert with our partners from Exmouth and Wellington - Vaughan Williams A Sea Symphony
At the end of an amazing evening in Exeter Cathedral, the retiring collections raised over £1300 for Exmouth RNLI - thank you to all our supporters for your generosity to this amazing charity 'saving lives at sea'.
May 2017 concert - Handel Messiah
Our collections raised a much appreciated £440.27 for SnackPack. We received many comments about how much performers and audience enjoyed the evening, our packed audience even giving us a standing ovation!