- Following the success of our Autumn Zoom rehearsals, these are continuing in 2021. We encourage all choir members to join us if you can. Plenty of help is available if you have not "Zoomed" before, so please give it a try.
- Since Easter we have been learning Mozart Missa Brevis K275.
- Next up are two sessions in the summer, including our AGM on 29 June. Please volunteer for one of the many roles which are now vacant - your choir needs you!
- Why not also help the choir to raise funds through Easyfundraising? Full details are given below
- Would you like to improve your sight reading and singing? See below for suggested aids.
5 January - 7.30 pm, Zoom rehearsals commence for Spring term
23 March - 7.30 pm, Last Zoom session on Durufle Requiem
13 April - 7.30 pm, First of four sessions on Mozart Missa Brevis K275
29 June - 7.30 pm, AGM and singing
6 July - 7.30 pm, singing session
7 September - rehearsals commence for Autumn term (venue/format tbc)
2 October - singing morning (venue tbc)
Please help support Exeter Choral Society by shopping online.
Use Easyfundraising to shop with over 3,600 retailers including Amazon, Argos, John Lewis, ASOS, Booking.com, eBay, Boden, and M&S.
Every time you shop, you’ll raise a free donation for Exeter Choral Society every time, it’s that easy!
Find out more: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/exeterchoralsociety/
Improve your sight reading with
- The book Novello Guide to Sight Singing - shop around for the best price but c. £14.
- Free short course from OpenLearn https://www.open.edu/openlearn/history-the-arts/music/introduction-music-theory/content-section-0?active-tab=description-tab
- Download the fun, free Perfect Ear app to improve your timing and pitch.
The Trustees ask that, in normal times, choir members should aim to attend at least 75% of the rehearsals for any one concert if they wish to sing in the performance, or be otherwise sufficiently rehearsed.
It would be helpful if returning members who have missed a year or more could please contact the Secretary before returning to rehearsals so that we can welcome you and add you to our mailing list. Thank you.
Christine (tenor), Chair
Michelle (alto), Secretary
Yvonne (alto), Treasurer
Concert Managers (alto), Lynn & Pauline
Part reps: Alison (soprano), Gill (alto), Kathryn (tenor) and Ted (bass).
Thank you to those of you who kindly help with tasks including running coffee evenings, selling cakes or raffle tickets, setting up our staging, librarian, box office and concert management to name but a few. Your help is greatly appreciated by all in the choir. More helpers are always welcome. Special thanks for our Autumn 2019 term to Iain and team for setting up our staging, to Ted for organising seating and to David and Sue for hiring and washing up hundreds of glasses for concert refreshments!
There are several committee vacancies and other roles that need filling from June 2021, such as Assistant Treasurer, website management, publicity, concert management - please contact the Trustees to offer your help - full handovers will be arranged. Your choir needs you!
Some past concerts and charity collections:
December 2019 - a sell-out concert!
Featuring Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man, with Andrew Millington on the organ and with much brass and percussion. By complete contrast, the second half featured the sublime and sunny Vivaldi Gloria.
Thank you to our audience and choir for your donations to Refugee Support Devon Ltd. An amazing £596 was collected. The money raised will go to an Emergency Fund which is used to support destitute asylum-seekers and refugees who are suffering financial hardship.
May 2018 - A celebration concert, in our 75th anniversary year
Music included Mozart Coronation Mass, Handel Coronation Anthems, Haydn Little Organ Mass
A glorious celebration with a full house! Our collections raised a very much appreciated £663 for Exeter, Mid & East Devon Samaritans. Thank you everyone!
November 2017 concert with our partners from Exmouth and Wellington - Vaughan Williams A Sea Symphony
At the end of an amazing evening in Exeter Cathedral, the retiring collections raised over £1300 for Exmouth RNLI - thank you to all our supporters for your generosity to this amazing charity 'saving lives at sea'.
May 2017 concert - Handel Messiah
Our collections raised a much appreciated £440.27 for SnackPack. We received many comments about how much performers and audience enjoyed the evening, our packed audience even giving us a standing ovation!